Updated: Nov 14, 2019
Green Roofs are buildings that have vegetation as the finish instead of traditional weathering methods. These types of roofs have been around as far back as the Hanging gardens of Babylon of ancient times. In a green roof, the vegetation layers are stacked up on the waterproofing layer. Green roofs have of late, become much talked about because of benefits to the environment and reduction in costs for heating or cooling the building.
Green roofs are not supportive of plants that require solid layers of soil in order to flourish. Thus the common plants that are used are those that thrive in areas where there is only a thin layer of topsoil. Plants growing naturally atop rocky crevices, Alpine crags and other difficult paces are much preferred for a green roof. That does not mean however that these plants are drab looking. On the contrary they come in a wide variety of colors that makes the roof a pleasure to behold. Stonecrop, house leeks and the like are commonly used. Green roofs can also be planted with a layer of grass, and tough grasses at that because of the need for constant watering. A lot of grasses in green roofs have the ability to reproduce without external help.
There are various methods to go about installing a green roof, but they all have something in common as well. They need Protection fleece, filter fleece, a watering system, growing mediums, and in addition, careful planting with little room for error. This is why it is better done by professionals who are highly trained with an eye for beauty. An architect should also be consulted to determine if the physical properties would suit a green roof.
Benefits of a Green roof
1. A green roof has a positive influence on the environment, while at the same time it is a sight for sore eyes.
2. The heating and the cooling costs are brought down.
3. The property valuation increases with a green roof.
4. They can absorb a great amount of moisture, and this eliminates the need for complex drainage.
5. The building will seem to be an extension of the environment, blending with it.
6. Lots of people love gardens but do not have the space for it. This issue is solved if there is a green roof on the building.
7. Flood leaks are highly reduced because these roofs can absorb as much as 90% of rainwater.
8. Carbon Dioxide pollution is lessened.
9. The noise pollution is also markedly reduced with green roofs.
Greenwise adapts the green roof solution to the exact specifications as of the house. They are much sought after for their immaculate planning and execution of the project, and can provide extensive support with advice as well as recommendations. Once again, green roofs require expert hands to flourish, and Greenwise has the right people, highly trained and passionate about their work.